Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed plastic surgery procedures in the United States. Designed to increase the size and shape of your bust, a breast augmentation is a great way to improve your body contours and overall self-confidence. Before you contact your plastic surgeon, consider the variety of breast augmentation procedures available today.
The most common breast augmentation technique involves the use of breast implants. There are two types of FDA approved breast implants:
- Saline Implants: Saline implants contain sterile salt water solution and are surrounded by a firm yet flexible silicone shell. These implants come in both smooth and textured shells and can be round or anatomically (tear-drop) shaped. In many cases, your cosmetic surgeon will put the shell in place before filling it with saline solution for a much smaller incision.
- Silicone Implants: Using the same silicone elastomer shell as saline implants, silicone breast implants are filled with a cohesive silicone gel that provides a more natural appearance. Silicone implants decrease the possibility of rippling and deflation and feel more like natural breast tissue.
Breast augmentation procedures also differ based on the incision location. The three most commonly used incisions during a breast augmentation include:
- Periareolar: Made around the areola, periareolar incisions are designed to hide the scar in the dark area where your nipple meets the skin on your breasts.
- Transaxillary: The transaxillary incision is made through a channel from the armpit to the breast and is hidden within the natural folds of your armpit tissue.
- Inframmary: Performed along the bottom of your breast, inframmary incisions are used to create a small pocket in which to place the implant. The major advantage of inframmary incisions is that the scar hides along the crease where your breast and skin come together. These incisions also allow your doctor to work more closely with your breasts to ensure excellent visibility and accurate placement.
Whether you’re interested in a breast augmentation, tummy tuck, or liposuction, our cosmetic surgeons with Blackhawk Plastic Surgery are here to help. Call (925)272-2464 for more information.
The materials available at this website are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing medical advice. You should contact your doctor or cosmetic surgeon to obtain advice with respect to any particular medical issue or problem. Use and access to this website or any of the links contained within the site do not create a doctor-client relationship. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the medical office or any individual doctor or cosmetic surgeon.